QuickBooks Desktop application is used widely by small and medium-sized businesses for their accounting needs. It has so many features that make the accounting process much easier and effortless. But, there are some annoying errors that interrupt users. Here we are talking about QuickBooks error 15240 that arises while updating QuickBooks Desktop and downloading payroll update. The error code comes along with a message, “File Exists: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program.” The issue triggers when there is misconfiguration of the Internet Explorer security settings. We will discuss other causes and solutions to fix error 15240 in the blog below, so stay connected until the end.
If you are wondering how to resolve QuickBooks error 15240, reach out to the QuickBooks technical support team by dialing our toll-free number 1.855.738.2784 and discuss your problem with them
Reasons that can cause QuickBooks Desktop error 15240
The factors that trigger the payroll update error are as follows:
- The Internet Explorer settings are not configured correctly to run QuickBooks..
- QuickBooks installation folder does not have sufficient permissions.
- Incorrect date and time settings on the workstation.
- QuickBooks Desktop and payroll update did not completed due to poor network connection.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Error 6094
Best Troubleshooting Methods to Resolve QuickBooks payroll update error 15240
Method 1. Open QuickBooks as an Administrator
- Close the QuickBooks Desktop application and move to your Windows desktop.
- There, lok for the QuickBooks Desktop icon and right-click it.
- Choose the Run as administrator option to start QuickBooks with admin privileges.
Method 2. Change Internet Explorer settings to eliminate error 15240
- Within Internet Explorer, click the Gear icon and select Internet Options.
- Select the Advanced tab, go to the Security section and checkmark Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0.
- Choose Apply to save the changes and click OK.
Method 3. Correct the date and time settings on your computer to fix error 15240
- On your desktop, select the time display and click Change date and time settings.
- Set the correct date and time, click Apply and select OK.
Method 4. Grant Windows permissions to the QuickBooks installation folder
- Quit the QuickBooks Desktop application, head to C:\Program Files\ and right-click the Intuit folder.
- Select Properties, go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
- Assure the owner of the folder is the User group. If not, follow the steps given below to take ownership:
- Go to the Advanced Security settings window and click Change next to the Owner name.
- Enter Users in the Enter the object name to select field and click Check Names.
- Click OK, select Replace owner on sub containers and objects and click Apply.
- Go to the Permissions window, select Users and click Full Control.
- Try to update QuickBooks Desktop and payroll again.
Method 5. Make changes to the third-party firewall
- Connect with the third-party firewall developer and reset the settings.
- Next, give access to qbw32.exe and qbupdate.exe files through the firewall.
We are hopeful that following the above troubleshooting methods will help you fix QuickBooks error 15240. If the error reappears or continues, connect with the QuickBooks technical support team for help by calling us on our helpline number 1.855.738.2784.