Biotin is a type of vitamin ‘B’. It is also known as vitamin B7, vitamin H, Coenzyme R, D-Biotin, or W factor. It’s an important nutritional component of enzymes in our body.
This vitamin plays a vital role in the conversion of our food into energy. It helps keep your hair, skin, nails, and nervous system healthy. It also helps in the breakdown of certain nutrients like fats, carbohydrates, and others.
How does biotin actually work?
It is a form of vitamin B that converts the fat, carbohydrates, or proteins in the food you eat into energy. Keratin is a protein that improves your hair, skin and nails. So it is clear that biotin promotes your body’s keratin infrastructure.
Natural Sources of biotin
It’s always best to get vitamins and minerals from natural sources. Biotin can also be found in many foods, including:
- Egg yolk
- Organ meats (kidney, liver)
- Nuts (Like almonds, peanuts, and walnuts)
- Soybeans and other legumes
- Whole grains and cereals
- Sweet potato
Side Effects of Biotin deficiency
It is a nutritional disorder due to the water-soluble B vitamin deficiency in your body which can become serious with the passage of time. Its deficiency occurs in any age, ancestry or gender. When the impacts of nutrients on your body are very low, this may lead to B-7 deficiency.
There are many causes of biotin deficiency. Some of them as mentioned below:
- Biotinidase deficiency: It is a metallic disorder in which biotin is not released from proteins in the diet. It is the most common cause of biotin deficiency.
People with this problem can’t recycle the vitamin properly. Its deficiency is treated with biotin supplements.
- Intravenous feeding: It is a method of getting nutrition into your body through your veins. This method is used to help people who can’t get their core nutrients from food like people with cancer, short bowel syndrome or crohn’s disease.
Supplements may be used for this until you’re able to eat solid food again.
- Prolonged Medication: Use of continuous medicines may be associated with biotin deficiency. Medication such as antibiotics and anti-seizure drugs.
Medication may prevent your body from absorbing vitamins correctly. Additionally, they destroy the good bacteria in your gut that can produce biotin naturally.
- Prolonged Dieting: Long term dieting may prevent you from getting a variety of vitamins or minerals. It may also lead to vitamin B7 deficiency.
- Intestinal Malabsorption: Some severe intestinal problems may lead to the deficiency of vitamins, minerals, or proteins.
Symptoms due to Biotin Deficiency
Following are the signs/symptoms that may occur in your body due to low tendency of vitamin B:
- Hair loss, Dry hair, or damaged hair
- Mild depression
- Hypotonia or weak muscles
- Lethargy or drowsiness
- Fungal Infections
- Dry or white eyes
- Rashes on skin both red or patchy ones
- Anorexia (Loss of appetite)
Guidelines for Healthy Lifestyle
A healthy lifestyle helps to maintain good health and prevent chronic diseases and long term illness. The ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle include healthy eating, physical activities, weight management, stress management and much more.
Similarly, Vitamin B7 is very important for us in our daily life. Following are some healthy benefits of Biotin:
- Strengthen hair and nails: Biotin helps and improves the strength and durability of hair and nails. Biotin deficiency can cause hair loss, thicken nail cuticles, and prevents nail breakage.
It is useful to promote healthy hair and strengthen nails. Many hair care companies are now using biotin in their products for strong and healthy hairs.
- Improve health of your skin: It also helps to improve the health of your skin. Deficiency of biotin can lead to a number of skin problems like rashes, acne, dryness or cracking in the corners of mouth.
Vitamin B plays vital role in the function of nervous system and do affect hormone function. It plays a significant role to improve skin health.
- Support Metabolism: It plays a pivotal role in supporting metabolism and reacts as a co-enzyme to help break down substances such as fat, carbohydrates, and proteins.
- Regulate Blood Sugar: According to a recent study, biotin along with chromium might regulate blood sugar in people with diabetes.
- Low Cholesterol: It can also help reduce LDL (Bad Cholesterol). High cholesterol can lead to heart disease and stroke.
Why Biotin Supplements are important?
If you’re not getting enough biotin from your diet, supplements may be an option. Biotin supplements are necessary for normal body function. Many people use biotin supplements to improve the health of hair, skin, and nails.
Different brands are introducing biotin supplements for hair growth. But now the question is: Which supplement is best for hair, skin and nails? Take a look to learn more about best biotin supplement.
Nutrifactor’s Biotin Plus is one of the best biotin supplement for hair, skin and nails. It promotes healthy hair, radiant skin and strong nails naturally. It also helps in the synthesis of keratin protein in the hair that promotes strong hair follicles.
Benefits of biotin Plus 2500 mcg
- Promotes shiny hair, glowing skin and strong nails
- Improves the health of your skin
- Strengthen brittle nails
- Supports immune system
- Supports your metabolism
- Supports enzymes in our body that affect skin and intestinal tract.
Related Tag: https://www.nutrifactor.com.pk/