Electronic Health Records (EHR) software is used by physicians to contain and maintain their patient’s health records. An electronic health record (EHR) is an electronic version of a patient’s paper chart that offers physicians and clinicians real-time, patient-centered health records. This software is designed for small clinics or hospitals, medium-sized hospitals, and large enterprises.
The key feature of EHR software is that providers can share their patient’s medical records with other providers, clinics, hospitals, laboratories, organizations, pharmacies.
Using this software, All patients’ medical health information is available in one place; providers can access that information at any time and anywhere with an internet connection.
EHR software provides accurate, up-to-date, and complete information about their patient health records to provide efficient care to their patient. You can also compare different EHR software by visiting this blog.
Physicians are not required to input patient information every time a patient comes. Instead, doctors may search up patient information in the EHR, which shows all of the patient’s data. Therefore, doctors have a complete medical history to confirm the patient’s diagnosis.
Common health information that should be included in EHR software:
- Patient Demographics:
- Patient Portal
- Radiology images
- Administrative and billing data
- Immunization dates
- Past medical history
- Laboratory reports
- Progress notes
EHR software helps physicians in decision-making, diagnosis, and care based on previous health records.
Reasons for using EHR software:
- Electronic health records software provides precise, up-to-date, and complete information of patients’ medical records to physicians.
- This software provides all details of a patient’s diagnosis, past medical history, progress notes, medication, allergies, and vitals. So, physicians can properly diagnose their patients according to the details.
- This software helps to improve productivity and also helps to improve healthcare.
- Physicians can access their patient’s medical records anytime and anywhere without any concern.
- EHR software also provides facility to access records from any devices like mobile, tablets, laptops, or computers
- Electronic health records software also provides one more amazing feature: sharing your patient’s details with other physicians, laboratories, insurance companies, hospitals, and organizations.
- This System is a cloud-based system, So you don’t have to purchase any hardware or software for using it.
- You don’t have to worry about collecting and maintaining all your patient’s data in a large room or warehouse because it provides efficient storage for that.
- Electronic health records software provides privacy and security against stealing and any harmless of your patient’s medical data.
- You don’t have to spend hours searching through any patient’s records. It’s only a few clicks away.
- You can spend more time with your patients because entering patients’ details is easy compared to writing down all details on paper.
- Your patients can also understand their medical records because it provides all details of their diagnosis.
- This software also provides a charting facility for easily viewing medical details.
- Your patient can communicate with you at any time without coming to clinics or hospitals.
What are the common features of EHR systems?
Each EHR systems have their specific features, but some are features that come with all EHR systems and those features lists are below:
Providers may handle all types of patient appointments with appointment management. For example, Providers can make appointments, view all appointments, and see which patients have arrived, are presently being examined, or have had their examination completed.
Providers can send notifications or alerts to patients via text messages, phone calls, or email if they want to remind them of upcoming visits.
Billing management is the process through which a health care provider electronically sends a bill, or claim, to a health insurance company or payer.
Clinical workflow is a method for improving the efficiency of healthcare organizations by ensuring that patient records are correct, up-to-date, and accessible at all times.
With a cloud-based system, providers don’t have to install any software or operating system to use the EHR System. As a result, cloud-based systems are flexible, scalable, and cost-effective.
Document management stores and tracks all patient’s records electronically.
Compliance with HIPAA(Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) needs the creation of national standards to shield confidential patient medical knowledge from revealing while not the consent or knowledge of the patient.
HIPAA Complaint rules, 1) Privacy rule and 2) Security rule
It contains the history of all patient’s medical records like diagnosis, vitals, allergies, progress details, medications, and many more details.
Patient’s demographics contain basic information like date of birth to insurance company details.
Patients can access their medical documents, diagnosis documents, refill medication, and securely communicate with their providers.
Top 3 EHR Systems:
There are numerous EHR Vendors on the market. The following is the rundown of well known EHR vendors:
Now, we can examine brief details about these EHR Vendors:
When it comes to executing remote visits and improving patient health, Kareo is at the forefront.
With more than 75,000 physicians and healthcare professionals, Kareo has developed a strong niche with 150,000 active users.
- Over 150 customizable models
- The ability to easily integrate your billing and practice management solutions.
- A fantastic solution for practice management.
- You have to pay fees for Kareo; Kareo used to be freely available
- You could use other tips to maximize the benefits of the system.
Epic is a cloud-based EHR solution that draws on various specialties.
The software is used in a wide variety of practices, from public hospitals and professional practices to multi-specialty hospital groups and palliative care professionals.
- Well known Large clientele
- Offer hundreds of third party applications to meet all of your practice needs
- Host cloud system
- Integrates seamlessly with the practice management system
- Interoperability! Can share records with other healthcare organizations.
- Reputation for high setup fees.
- Complex structure compared to other EHR programs.
Cerner is a cloud-based EHR software system utilized by healthcare organizations of different areas and specialties to report their operations and deliver premium healthcare.
It offers charts, documentation, resources management, and health analysis.
- They are a substation in trading with status clients.
- Provides strategic advice for practices that modify into value-based care.
- It has strong integration with revenue cycle solutions.
- It offers on-site and off-site services.
- It offers advanced analytics packages that allow customers to use analysis.
- Too many clicks were reported to take action.
- Doesn’t offer a free trial
You can compare the top 10 best EHR systems from here.