Graphic design is a creative industry that uses a wide range of media in the service of cultural, commercial, and ideological goals. It is deeply tied to fashion and visual communication.
In order to become a successful graphic designer, you need to have an eye for design, excellent skills in drawing, painting, or drawing/painting software like Adobe Illustrator as well as knowledge about typography and tooling. Additionally, you need creativity and good organizational skills when planning projects from start to finish. Well, today in this article we will be throwing light on the “industry outlook” then we will turn our head towards the skills required to become a graphic designer and along with that, we will also chalk out the responsibilities you have to play as a graphic designer.
Industry Outlook of Graphic Designing
This portion of the article contains information about how the graphic design industry looks like. And suggestions on how to get started if you are interested in this field. The graphic design industry is expected to grow 12% between now and 2020. Because of the technological advancements, there is a growing demand for the graphic designers. The same explanation applies to site design, advertising firms, 3D technologies, VFX, animation, and other related fields. With this technological evolution and advancement, the majority of digitized works become interdependent. Consider the reliance on graphic design, visual effects and animation, in the gaming industry.
The three design services are frequently utilized in conjunction with one another and so forth. The design industry in India is expanding along with the general increase in demand for design services. By 2020, it is anticipated that the Indian graphics business would develop to a massive INR 188.32 billion. By 2026, a 5% increase is predicted, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. With the growing popularity and demand for design services, there are more and more design jobs available every day.
Is Graphic Designing in Demand in India?
Yes, obviously graphic design is in huge demand in India. But to say that graphic designers are in demand is an understatement. That’s because as the world has become more and more digital, India has been at the forefront of this revolution. The demand for graphic designers here ranges from print to digital advertising and everything in between.
The talented people who make up India’s hugely diverse design industry should not be overlooked by anyone looking for a new career or just interested in bettering themselves professionally. No matter what your skill level, you can improve it no end simply by doing a graphic designing course. There are numerous such institutes that are offering graphic designing courses.
The Following Skills are Required to Become a Graphics Designer:
Computer skills such as graphic design software, painting, and photo-editing software, and video editing software. Such as Adobe After Effects, photoshop etc. Also, basic knowledge of how computers work is helpful but not necessary.
- Detail-oriented skills to see the small things that make a picture look great or unprofessional, like the art of retouching pictures or creating the right lighting for a scene.
- Small details about customer service that help give customers what they need are an underrated part of being a graphic designer.
- Basic knowledge of drawing and understanding of colors is required.
- Basic understanding of the technology industry.
- A general understanding of concepts like design, psychology, and advertising is helpful in designing something which looks professional but also appealing to the customer for a specific purpose.
- A good work ethic and focus on details are essential for being a graphic designer.
- Being able to think visually and focus on shapes, art, and colors and how they create an environment as well as taking into consideration movement within a scene are all skills that are needed to become a graphic designer. The best way to learn the skills is with the assistance of graphic designing courses.
- To be a successful graphic designer, you should also know about the artwork that can go with a specific type of company or product. Media companies hire graphic designers to create and design cover art, which is the packaging and advertising that is used in marketing materials. This could be flyers or logos for the media products that are being sold.
Responsibilities of a Graphic Designer
The responsibilities of a graphic designer vary depending on what field the designer is working in. However, the most important responsibility remitted to the graphic designer is to make a work that reflects their ideas and vision. The job of a graphic designer also includes making sure that their work looks professional, catering to both the client’s taste and budget. Here in this section, we will be discussing the responsibilities of a graphic designer:
- A large part of a designer’s role is to make sure that their design can be implemented into commercial products. Like websites or brochures. Graphic designers are responsible for designing everything from business cards and logos for small businesses. All the way up to cover art for major motion pictures.
- A professional graphic designer should be able to work with all types of media like clip art, photography, cartoons, etc. They need to know about font typefaces, color schemes, and brand names when designing for branding purposes. For example, they should be aware of the different typefaces used by different printing companies. And should also know when to use a serif font versus a sans serif font.
- Graphic designers are also responsible for preparing graphics for television and movies. They need to be able to use their knowledge of colors, layout, and design principles. To make sure the graphic can fit on the screen while still being clearly legible. They need their own personal collection of images from which to choose when designing logos, graphics, and special effects for TV ads.
- A graphic designer needs his or her own workspace in which to work on artwork and layout ideas for books, magazines, etc. They need to know how to work with clients and listen to their ideas, suggestions, and problems. Graphics need to be produced that fit the budget of the client as well as their timeline.
How to Start your Career as a Graphic Designer?
Education is the key to working in any industry. Any set of skills that you have can be used to earn a living. And if you want to get into the industry as a graphic designing professional then earning a diploma in graphic designing is the best way to put the first step into the sector. If you already have the skill and want to upgrade more. Then look into getting an additional certification course in graphic designing that will help you stand out from other candidates. After the completion of the course, the next step will be getting experience.
Experience is very helpful, especially when you are starting out as an artist or designer. It is more important to work hard and be willing to take any job as a means to get your foot in the door than it is to wait for the “perfect job.” Once you have some experience under your belt, it could lead to better opportunities that could make a real difference in your career.
Also Read: All You Need to Know About Graphic Designing