Realtimear solution engineers answer our most common customer questions
Want to watch the full Remote Connect session? Watch it on-demand here!
Our customers are rapidly shifting towards a full digitalization strategy, and their adoption of realtimear head-mounted devices has significantly spiked since the start of COVID-19. Whatever your reasons for adopting this new technology, this transition can be difficult to navigate.
To kickstart your journey, whether you’re a project lead, IT specialist or HSE manager, here are the most common questions answered by realtimear solution engineers.
1. What is the RealWear HMT-1 and HMT-1Z1?
The RealWear HMT-1 (Head-Mounted Tablet) is the world’s first hands-free Android™ tablet class wearable computer for industrial workers. A fully rugged head-mounted device, use it in wet, dusty, hot, dangerous and loud industrial environments.
The high-resolution micro display ﬁts just below your line of sight and views like a 7” tablet. It’s an industrial dashboard: there when you need it and out of your way when you don’t.
2. How do I wear the HMT-1 correctly?
Our full guide on how to wear the HMT-1 covers:
- Determining Left- or Right-Eye Configuration
- Preparing the HMT
- Ensuring proper head-mounting accessories are in place
- Putting on the HMT
- Fitting the HMT
- Adjusting the fit
- Turning on the HMT
- Fine tuning
3. Is the HMT-1 compatible with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)?
Everyone’s requirements are different depending on where you work, and hardhats and other head protection come in many shapes and sizes. That’s why RealWear is committed to working with as many varieties and classes of personal protection equipment as possible. While we sell a few clips online as well as 3D printable downloads, we’ve designed custom clips for many of our customers special requirements.
Fill out this form to see what can be done to fit your needs.
4. How many languages does the HMT-1 understand?
RealWear currently supports 13 main languages, and our development team will continue to add more based on demand. View the up-to-date list of supported languages here.
5. What is the out of box experience of the HMT-1?
The out-of-box experience is similar to a standard Android tablet – you can take videos, photos, browse cloud-based storage and record dictation.
- Document navigator is a built-in system on the HMT to enable users in the field to read documentation.
- Voice dictation which allows the user to speak in full sentences.
The HMT-1 works with powerful software applications from over 200 software partners, each optimized for completely hands-free voice control. That means no scrolling, swiping, or tapping – just simple voice commands. The most common categories include:
- Remote Mentor / Remote Assistance
- The HMT’s camera allows an expert to “see what I see” and support from anywhere in the world to help guide the user through a job task.
- Digital Workflow solutions provide visual instructions, checklists, data entry, and visual documentation of completed steps while on the go.
- IoT Data visualization
- Industrial IoT solutions with RealWear HMT-1 provide operators the real-time data they need when operating, inspecting, or maintaining equipment.
6. How do I connect the HMT-1 to the internet?
There are three ways:
- Connect the device to your local WIFI network
- The HMT supports the 2.4G and 5 GHz Wi-Fi and our most recent update (Release 11.2) will allow you to choose the frequency manually.
- Connect to mobile hotspot with integrated sim card.
- The RealWear HMT-1 can be connected to a personal hotspot however please check with your IT Administrator for company security procedures. Bluetooth is enabled via personal hotspot, external pack and Wi-Fi. It can also work with private LTE networks (ie OnGo/CBRS).
- LTE 4G Modem for the HMT-1
- The LTE Modem is an accessory for the HMT-1 that creates a 4G cellular link. The Modem attaches securely to the HMT-1 battery-side and connects via micro-USB. With a Micro-SIM card (not included), the customer can access multiple regional cellular networks.
7. Which accessories are available for the HMT-1?
8. What are my options for security on the HMT-1 or HMT-1Z1?
There are multiple options for securing devices on a corporate or facility network. These range from native Android features such as user profiles and PIN numbers to enterprise Mobile Device Management systems, many of whom have optimized their solutions for the HMT-1/HMT-1Z1, to RealWear’s Foresight Cloud platformprovides some basic management features.
As we use Android Open Source Project (AOSP), which offers all the security from the Android platform without the Google Mobile Services (GMS), users are unable to download malicious software from the Google PlayStore.
We are happy to discuss your organization’s enterprise security approach and advise you on how the HMT-1 can securely fit into your environment with confidence. Please contact [email protected] to arrange for a detailed conversation with our product team.
9. How safe is the RealWear HMT-1 & HMT-1Z1?
RealWear has always focused on providing 100% hands-free devices for the industrial worker, which means voice-activated and operable in loud, wet and dusty environments. In the industrial environment, whether you’re using gloves, are wearing PPE or you’re using power tools, any of these scenarios would be dangerous if you don’t have the use of your hands. Find country specific safety certificates here.
On the intrinsic safety side, the HMT-1Z1 is the first head-mounted device that is capable of meeting the Class 1/Div 1 standard (or ATEX Zone 1 in Europe).
In times of COVID-19, it’s also important to keep your device clean. Find information on how to clean your device here.
10. Do you offer training programs?
Training is crucial to internal adoption and to the success of your deployments. The RealWear team is here to guide you through workshops, online and on-site meetings, which includes:
- Customized end-user training
- Train the trainer program (T3)
- Developer Academy
Designing Industrial Sector Technology
XR Today’s first review category started with the RealWear HMT-1’s overall design, which is something the RealWear team is especially glad to hear.
The RealWear HMT platform is designed with safety in mind from the ground up with safety in mind. The hands-free approach allows industrial workers — who often need both hands to manage tools and their own safety — to quickly access the information they need to do their job.
The high-resolution micro-display can show a variety of multimedia without impeding the wearer’s field of vision, which is crucial in frontline work where environmental hazards can be a part of the job.
The headset’s slim form factor is also compatible with common frontline personal protection equipment. These can include:
- Eye protection
- Ear protection
- Respiratory masks
- Hazmat suits
- Heavy gloves
The HMT-1 can also attach to the Workband if PPE isn’t an issue.
XR Today praised the HMT-1’s user-friendly interface. It’s crucial that their tools don’t distract frontline workers from their environment.
The HMT-1 runs on Android, which is familiar to most wearers. This lets organizations create proprietary apps specific to their business needs. Or, they can run existing apps designed for regular Android devices. Dozens of out-of-the-box solutions are also available from Realtimear solution broad portfolio of technology partners.
Users can control the entirely hands-free HMT-1 with voice commands. With an innovative “say what you see” approach, users simply speak an available command out loud and the HMT-1 will do the rest.
Smart Glasses for the Industrial Sector
While XR Today goes into the HMT-1s specifications, the article highlights the device’s durability:
“The Realtimear solution HMT-1 is arguably the most rugged and durable smart glasses device available on the market today, making it the perfect choice for any users working in harsh industrial environments like factory floors, oil rigs, or construction sites.”
- Dust and waterproof with an IP-66 rating
- Shock resistant to withstand a two-meter drop onto concrete
- Durable in extreme conditions that require equipment to be rated at MIL-STD 810G
The headset comes with field-swappable batteries that last up to 10 hours of normal use, four digital microphones with active noise cancellation, and a high-resolution camera that can capture 1080p videos.