Machine learning-based news monitoring services analyze your media coverage to help manage your brand reputation. They monitor news data streams and notify you timely about brand mentions and other topics that are in your interest. News monitoring services are used in several industries like marketing agencies, public relations agencies, government offices, corporate brands, retail chains, and even NGOs. In this article, we talk about how news media monitoring services offer you in-depth insights armed with video AI.
What is News Monitoring?
When you scrutinize what is being said and published about you in different news sources, including online news publications, discussion forums, radio, podcasts, magazines, blogs, and even social media, it is called news monitoring. News monitoring services, powered by a sentiment analyzer, are needed now more than ever, when every action by a company, its employees, brand ambassadors, or even organizations it is associated with, comes under deep scrutiny, which in turn hurts the company’s financial stability.
The Need For News Monitoring Services
Organizations and brands need news surveillance all the time because there is so much social media-driven user-generated content that can be published without citations or fact checks, and anybody can get this information at the touch of their fingertips. Apart from this, news monitoring services are critical because the insights they provide enable companies to:
- Plan crisis management.
- Monitor brand influencers and ambassadors.
- Identify emerging trends through voice of the customer (VoC) analysis.
- Timely track and respond to brand mentions across all social channels as well as other online media.
- Organize brand mentions by theme, topic, and features.
- Understand a brand’s market perception by what customers are saying.
- Analyze competitor behavior.
- Automate the time-consuming task of manually analyzing data from numerous news sources.
- Create relevant and more meaningful advertising campaigns.
- Identify areas that need improvement and areas that need to be amplified.
How do News Media Monitoring Services work?
News monitoring platforms are powered by ML algorithms that ingest pre-processed data, process it, and then present it to the user. The entire process is as follows:
Step 1 – Data Collection
News monitoring services collect data from various sources such as television, magazines, radio, podcasts, videos, etc. to [analyze the sentiment in news](. It is important that these sources are relevant because the resultant insights will be dependent on this. The platform can gather data in two ways:
- API Data – Data can be uploaded through Live News APIs like Google News API, ESPN API, BBC News API, Bloomberg API, Bing News API, and others like them
- Manual – If your team has data that has been collected manually through other sources, you can upload them yourself onto the news monitoring system as a .csv file
Step 2 – Data Processing
Intelligent text analysis and sentiment mining tools like Repustate IQ process all the gathered news data in all formats – text, image, video, or audio – seamlessly. Repustate’s news media monitoring service also analyzes video data through its robust video content analysis (VCA) capability. The video AI feature undertakes the following tasks to obtain insights:
- Audio transcription – The audio from the video (it also does this with radio or podcast data) is transcribed through speech to text software
- Caption overlay – All captions in the video are extracted and analyzed for features, entities, or topics that are categorized as key
- Image overlay – All images are recognized and captured through optical character recognition (OCR)
- Logo recognition – All logos that appear in the video background, including on the clothes of the presenter and on objects like mugs, posters, bags, etc. are extracted
- Text extraction- The ML engine for news surveillance collates all text from the video audio, and converts all logos and brands into text, extracting them for sentiment analysis. This includes emojis and hashtags
Step 3 – Data Analysis
Now that the data has been gathered and processed, the news monitoring platform will analyze it for languages, custom tags, and sentiment.
- Training the model – A training dataset will be created to train the machine learning platform by manually cleaning up the text and annotating it.
- Multilingual data – Platforms like Repustate IQ will analyze each language the text is in, individually, through multilingual data processing. In this case, the platform does not translate the text, rather uses speech taggers for each language to read it natively
- Custom Industry Tags – Custom tags for aspects and themes are created in the news monitoring services for brand mentions, locations, product name, etc depending on the industry such as healthcare, retail, aerospace, and the like
- Topic Classification – Topic classifiers attach a particular theme to a text for mapping. “The remote cars were expensive, but the stuffed toys and Barbie dolls were really reasonable.”, will be tagged as the topic “price”.
- Sentiment Analysis – Each theme, aspect, and entity is analyzed for sentiment polarity across a range of -1 to +1. Polarity across different aspects like cleanliness, price, convenience, location, speed, functionality, etc, are analyzed and an aggregate score for the brand is generated.
Scope of News Monitoring Services
- Monitoring TV broadcasts
News monitoring services review all television news channels for news that directly or indirectly affects you. Depending on the regions or languages that you select for monitoring, the news sentiment analysis platform will scrutinize all data to ensure that any coverage pertaining to you is processed for emotion mining. This can also relate to documentaries or interviews on streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime, and not just regular cable television news programs.
- Radio and podcast monitoring
News media monitoring services can also gather information from radio stations and podcasts from different apps and streaming services. Just like videos, the news analysis engine will translate all audio into text formats before categorizing, tagging, and conducting sentiment analysis.
- Monitor news websites
News websites contain a lot of information in not just text but also photojournalism and videos. That’s why news sentiment analysis powered by video AI is very crucial to extract insights from online news sources. The OCR capability, in conjunction with video content analysis, parses all the relevant information that can affect your brand and presents all the data in the form of facts, figures, and charts on a user-friendly dashboard.
- Social media monitoring
Almost every social media channel is used by news agencies today. Social platforms like Facebook have a news section, and Twitter is an ever-ready platform for getting trending information. News monitoring services gather important data using social media sentiment analysis from sources like these using hashtags that can have different news items under the same hashtags. This kind of intricate scrutiny of online data and trending news can be very useful to companies, especially in retail, fashion, or fast-moving products.
Also Read: How To Calculate Sentiment Scores