Linksys wifi extender setup enabled you to configure the Linksys wifi extender with your existing wireless router’s network. The default Linksys extender URL extender.linksys.com will walk you through the Linksys wifi extender setup instructions. The default URL also helps your extender pair with the router.
To perform the Linksys extender setup, login to the Linksys range extender using the default address extender.linksys.com or http //extender.linksys.com. Once you successfully complete the Linksys extender setup, your Linksys wifi range extender will pick up the wireless signals from your router and repeat it so it becomes an extended network.
Today, we will take you through some of the most common yet important topics that are mentioned below:
- Linksys extender setup using extender.linksys.com
- Linksys extender setup using the WPS button
- Linksys wifi extender setup as an access point
- Linksys extender configuration on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS
- Common Linksys issues and troubleshooting
Linksys extender setup via extender.linksys.com (web browser method)
- Firstly, plug your range extender into the power outlet.
- Thereafter, the extender.linksys.com setup address requires you to connect your computer to the Linksys extender.
- After that, enter the default URL http://extender.linksys.com in your browser and click Go.
- The Linksys extender login page appears.
- Then, the browser will prompt you to enter your Linksys extender password and username.
- Press Enter. Now, you will be redirected to the Linksys admin page.
- You will see the range extender searching for all the available networks nearby.
- Lastly, follow the on-screen instructions to finalize the Linksys wifi extender setup.
Linksys extender setup with the WPS button
This step will help you avoid the hassle of going through multiple steps to setup Linksys extender. Prior to starting with the Linksys wifi extender setup, please ensure that your router sports the WPS button.
- Firstly, please ensure that the Linksys wifi extender is turned ON.
- Secondly, locate the WPS button on your Linksys extender.
- Press the WPS button on your extender and router simultaneously.
- After that, you may need to hold both the switches for 5 seconds until the devices pair with each other.
- Your router and extender will connect to each other.
- At last, you can test the connectivity by going near the dead zones of your home.
Setup Linksys extender in Access Point mode
Did you know that you can setup your Linksys extender in Access Point mode as well! Well, the newer models of Linksys range extender can be configured to work in Access Point mode. The Access Point mode lets your range extender increase your main network’s coverage by connecting to your router. The Access Point mode enables your extender to experience minimal loss of performance or drop the wireless connection.
- First of all, login to the Linksys extender using the default URL.
- You will see a screen “Welcome to RExxx Extender Setup”. Here xxx refers to the model number.
- After that, click Start Setup.
- You will see an option “As a wired range extender (Access Point). Select it and click Next.
- Furthermore, create unique network names for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio bands.
- Create a WiFi password and click Next.
- After that, create an admin password for the Linksys extender and click Save.
- Finally, the Linksys extender will be set up in Access Point mode.
How to setup Linksys extender Windows?
- To set up the Linksys extender on a Windows system, please connect your device to the range extender.
- Look at the right side of the taskbar and choose the WiFi icon.
- Select your extender’s default network and connect to it.
- After that, open Google Chrome and enter the default address in the address bar.
- Finally, follow the on-screen instructions to configure the Linksys range extender.
- You can refer to the previous topic related to Linksys extender setup using extender.linksys.com.
How to Configure Linksys extender on Mac?
- Go to the menu bar on your Mac system.
- Choose your home network and click Join.
- Enter the WiFi password if prompted.
- After that, open Apple Safari, which is the default web browser on any Mac system.
- Login to your range extender using the default gateway address.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
Configure Linksys extender on Android
- Setting up your Linksys extender using an Android device is simple and quick.
- Connect your Android device to the Linksys extender’s network.
- After that, open a web browser on your device.
- Enter the default address http //extender.linksys.com in the address bar.
- Once you login to the extender, click on Start Setup.
- Follow the on-screen instruction and click Save.
- Your Linksys extender will be successfully configured.
Configure Linksys extender on iOS
- On your iOS device, go to Settings.
- After that, click on Wireless and choose your extender’s network.
- Enter the default password and connect to the network.
- Open Apple Safari and enter the default URL in the address bar.
- Now, you will be taken to the Linksys extender setup page.
- Initiate the extender setup and walk through the instructions carefully.
- Once you reach the end, click Save and your device will be set up successfully.
Why Linksys extender setup failed?
Here are some of the most common reasons that cause Linksys extender setup failed issue. It is important to understand these reasons in order to be able to fix the issue.
- Linksys range extender setup page not loading
- The Linksys wifi extender won’t turn on
- Linksys extender facing issues during the setup
- Can’t setup Linksys wifi extender with the router’s network
- Default web address not responding
- Linksys extender.linksys.com login fails every time.
- Linksys wifi extender setup not responding.
Linksys extender setup failed. How to fix it?
Now that we have come across all the possible reasons that might be causing Linksys extender setup failed issue, we can easily resolve it. Please follow these steps to fix the issue.
- First of all, be sure you do not insert the Linksys extender installation CD. Also, do now download and install any setup software on your computer.
- The whole Linksys range extender setup will be executed through extender.linksys.com
- After that, please ensure that your computer or laptop is connected to the Linksys extender’s network.
- The Linksys extender should be getting an adequate power supply. Please change the outlet if the current one is defective.
- Make sure you connect your Linksys extender to your home network.
- Most users mistakenly connect to some other network, probably their mobile’s hotspot, etc.
- At last, please cross-check the SSID and the pre-shared key while attempting to pair the extender to your router.
- If the issue persists, please follow the subsequent section to reset your Linksys range extender.
How to reset Linksys wifi Range extender?
If you have any issues with your Linksys wifi range extender, you can reset the device to its factory defaults.
- To reset Linksys extender, please locate the reset button on your wifi extender.
- Press and hold the reset button for approximately 8 to 10 seconds.
- After that, you will see the main LED of your extender blinking.
- Release the reset button and leave your Linksys wifi extender as it is.
- Wait for about 5 minutes.
- Your extender will reboot a few times in order to restore the factory default settings.
What to know before resetting the Linksys extender?
Before you proceed with the Linksys extender reset, you need to learn a few things. First of all, the reset step brings your Linksys back to the factory default settings. The factory default settings are the original settings of your Linksys range extender. That means you will have to reconfigure your Linksys extender in order to create an extended network at your home or office.
The Linksys extender reset process removes all the data, wireless connections, passwords, and logs from your device. Please note that the reset button sits a little inside your Linksys extender’s frame. Therefore, you might need a toothpick or a safety pin to press the button. Also, make sure you do not turn off the device in the middle of the reset process.
Why resetting the Linksys extender is important?
Resetting the Linksys extender is imperative to its proper functioning. Rebooting your device might now fix some of the issues, but resetting does. When you reset your Linksys range extender, the device gets back to the original settings. That way, most of the issues and malfunctioned features get back to normal. Resetting the device also downgrades the firmware on your extender that might be corrupted or outdated. As the extender restores the factory default settings, you can reconfigure the device and update its firmware. It is crucial to reset your extender also when you are selling your device or replacing it with a new Linksys extender.
Why Linksys Extender Disconnecting Frequently?
Are you wondering why Linksys extender is disconnecting frequently? Well, let us make you understand the reasons causing this issue to occur.
- Linksys extender might be experiencing frequent disconnections because of the loose power socket.
- Make sure the extender is firmly plugged into the power outlet.
- After that, please login to the extender and check whether there is any firmware update available for your device.
- If yes, please proceed with the firmware upgrade and reboot your extender.
- Most probably, the issue will be resolved by now. If not, follow the next step.
- Please reset the Linksys wifi extender to the default factory settings.
- Thereafter, reconfigure your extender and see if the issue is resolved or not.
- If the issue persists, you might want to get it checked and replaced by the manufacturer.
- Although this is not a very common scenario, a slight degree of possibility is always there.
How To Fix Linksys Extender 5GHz Band Not Working?
Is the Linksys extender 5GHz band not working? No worries! This is one of the most common queries of Linksys extender users. Here are the steps to learn how to fix Linksys extender 5GHz band not working.
- First of all, please make sure your Linksys extender supports the 5GHz wireless band.
- Not all extenders come with dual-band technology.
- If your Linksys extender is not emitting the 5GHz wifi network, it means either the device is not dual-band or has come across some issue.
- Login to the Linksys extender and cross-check if you have enabled both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless networks.
- It is important that your router also supports dual-band technology.
- In case any of the two devices don’t support dual-band, you might not get a 5GHz network.
Why is Linksys extender blinking orange light?
Did you just see your Linksys extender blinking orange light? Not to worry! You may run into this issue when your Linksys extender fails to connect to your router or if in case the firmware on your range extender is outdated.
These are two of the most common reasons that cause the Linksys extender blinking orange light issue. In the subsequent section, we will walk you through the troubleshooting steps to fix the blinking orange light issue.
Troubleshooting Linksys wifi extender blinking orange
- Firstly, please ensure the distance between your wireless router and the extender is not too much.
- In case the router is far away from the Linksys extender, you might see the Linksys extender blinks orange issue.
- After that, you need to check if the error has been fixed. If not, proceed to reboot both devices.
- The second reason is the outdated firmware on your Linksys extender for which you may need to update the firmware as well.
- So visit the Linksys extender support website and enter the serial number of your extender to find the latest firmware updates.
- After that, download the latest firmware on your computer.
- Login to the Linksys wifi extender setup page using the default URL and go to the Firmware Update page.
- Thereafter, click the Browse tab and select the downloaded file on your PC.
- After a few minutes, your Linksys extender will reboot to finalize the Linksys extender firmware update.
We hope you liked this page and it helped you learn everything about the Linksys wifi extender setup, issues, and troubleshooting instructions. Should you need any assistance, please reach out to our support team for help.