Finding the perfect folding knife can be a difficult task with so many brands and styles to choose from, but Damascus Folding Knife is the best knife. However, if you focus on the purpose for which you will use the knife, it is a simple matter. The best folding knife for a hunter is not the same as a knife for camping or backpacking. Likewise, a pocket knife is not ideal as a tactical or survival knife.
Folding knives are often refer to as such because they are often kept in a pocket. They come in a variety of styles and many have multiple blades for different uses. It is a great tactical knife.
The blade can be use for just about anything. As long as the blade is relatively small, it is usually legal to carry. It is about 2 inches in most places. It is safer and more practical than a fix blade knife. Folding knives have a pivot, usually with a locking mechanism that allows the blade to close only when unlock on the handle.
Tips of folding knife
To help you decide, let’s try to categorize the different activities for which you might need or use a folding knife.
Camping and hiking
- For this type of activity, a Swiss Army knife or pocket knife is ideal.
- Weight can be an issue, especially if you’re backpacking long distances.
- Swiss Army knives come in a variety of styles with a number of handy tools for the camper.
- In addition to tweezers and scissors, some models also come with a barometer and LED light.
- Many hunters use a drop-point knife.
- They are characterize by their thick, curve blade, which is ideal for cutting up prey while hunting.
- The ability to use the entire blade rather than just the point makes them a very popular choice.
If you want to use your knife for survival, you need a multi-purpose blade.
- Tactical knives, self-defense knives and combat knives are designee for easy handling and durability. They need to be universal and are designee for special uses.
- After all, you may need it to stab a dinner, cut firewood, cut through the skin of an airplane fuselage, or break glass in a helicopter.
- You’ll also have to endure a harsh environment. In short, it’s a last resort.
- Tactical knives usually have a fix blade with a continuous tang, but not all have a fix blade.
- In addition, hunting knives and tactical knives are often use interchangeably.
- The hunter and the hunted have many of the same needs and functions.
- A tactical folding knife has a blade for a single purpose.
- This type of knife is not for every man, but for those who need some element of defense in their lives, this is the knife of choice.
- The best folding knives for tactical purposes are those that can be quickly deploy.
Machetes are a type of survival knife or tactical knife. It is usually single-edged and has a broadened tip. In the tropics, it is commonly use for cutting grass and feeling jungles. In many cultures, it is also use in agriculture. Still, some people use it as a weapon.
- There are a number of excellent combination folding knives available today that have some or all of the above features.
- Combination folding knives may also include a variety of tools such as screwdrivers, sockets, spirit levels and chisels.
It is wise to assess how seriously you take your activities. For example, if you only hunt occasionally, a folding knife may be the best choice for a combination knife. However, if you hunt frequently, you should opt for a drop-point model.
What type of knife do you choose?
Safety should be an important consideration. For folding knives, it is highly recommended that you choose a knife with a lockable blade. If you have ever use a Damascus folding knife where the blade close, you know what I am talking.
Another thing to look for when choosing the right folding knife for your needs is that it is easy to clean and sharpen.
- A knife with a serrated blade is more difficult to clean and sharpen than a knife with a normal straight edge.
- The quality of the steel use is also very important. Some cheaper folding knives have blades of inadequate quality that can rust, splinter, and sometimes break off during use.
- Knives made of high quality stainless steel or carbon reinforced steel should last for several years. It is advisable to choose a knife with a rating of at least 420.
- Finally, it is worth noting the legal consequences of carrying such a knife.
- Depending on the length of the blade, a folding knife may be consider a conceal weapon in some countries, making it illegal.
- You should always check the laws that apply in your country before making a purchase.
A folding knife for every need
In general, these are the two most common types of knives. Many knives bear the name of the person or company that made them. For example, the “Bowie knife” has been around for many, many years and is very well known because of its name and general characteristics. It is believe that these knives were made by Jim Bowie, the famous Alamo knife, but some historians believe that they were actually designee by his brother Regin.
Folding knife or fixed blade?
Knife makers have given these knives different names, but these are just associations. However, knives with a specific name, such as “Bowie,” can also be identify by their use. Examples include hunting knives, fishing knives, and tactical knives.
Folding knives blade
- So, folding knives, of course, are not as sturdy as fixe blade knives.
- Folding knives are a common all-purpose tool and are often use for camping and hunting. They are more compact and lighter, making them easier to carry and conceal.
- Switchblade knives” are knives that have the appearance of a pocket knife, such as switchblade knives and switchblade knives.
- They typically have a blade that is two inches or more in length and can be automatically triggered by the click of a button, pressure on the handle, or some other mechanical action or device.
- Therefore, pocket knives without an “automatic release” are not considered “switchblade” knives.
- Butterfly knives, also known as gravity knives or Bali song, are generally illegal.
- Butterfly knives are designee to deploy and slash quickly with a flick of the wrist.
- It is a folding knife with two handles that rotate around a tang.
- It opens by centrifugal force. Both the switchblade and the butterfly knife are associate with bad guys and threats because of their slashing power.
Read: Latest tips of Damascus Folding Knives
- The hunting knife was the first knife and is the most popular among fixe blade knives.
- It has one of the most recognizable shapes in the cutlery industry.
- Hunting knives are use for cutting, slicing, gutting, piercing, skinning game, cleaning out, dressing, capping, trimming, quartering, managing, cleaning game, deboning, and generally handling wildlife.
- While there is no one hunting knife that is suitable for all hunting tasks, there are some that are far superior to others.
- Hunting knife handles are often intricately carve and decorate and are made from a variety of materials from around the world.
- The handle is made from a variety of materials from around the world, including exotic woods, bone, horn and rubber, all of which are very durable.
- Hunting knives are often kept in a sheath near the waist, but can also be worn on the back, legs, chest or arms, depending on the hunter’s preference.
- Fixe blade hunting knives usually have no moving parts, so you don’t spend time in the field tightening bolts or adjusting springs.
Cutlery knives are use for food preparation and are made of a variety of materials. Most cutlery in use today is mass produce by large companies. Product lines and options have been simplified and standardize, and in many cases the quality of the knives has been lost. Generalizing. There are still people who make quality cutlery, and there are still knife manufacturers who take pride in these types of knives.
- A good chef goes hand in hand with his knives. They are an important part of his profession. A good carving knife has a good sense of balance.
- A butcher knife, on the other hand, is meant to be use with a cutting board.
- The spine is straight and sharpened, the curve part is not.
- This allows the butcher to slice and dice without having to shift his weight.
- There are many other types of knives that are relevant to cooking.
For a good knifemaker, the shape of the blade is very important, but even more important is the choice of steel type. The blade is generally concave in shape and hollow in the center. The handle has a comfortable finger grip and can be fitt with a pocket or belt clip. It also has a lanyard to keep the knife handy.
Fix blades do not fold in. They have either a full tang or a stick tang, which makes them very sturdy and secure. Fix blade knives tend to be sturdier and larger overall, making the knife safer and stronger. This strength makes the knife suitable for outdoor use. Most come with a sheath to protect the blade and keep it safe to carry. They are also refer to as sheath knives. Fix blade knives do not need to be oil or clean regularly as folding knives do.