QuickBooks is one of the best and advanced accounting software around the world. This software is specially designed and developed by Intuit, which many small and medium-sized businesses use to manage their accounting records at the ease of work. This software comes with great power and functionalities, making the software more valuable and easy to use for any user, even for non-technical guys.
This software helps businesses manage their finance and sales, inventory work, track expenses, etc. This software has high market capturing apart from the other software’s. From having great features and functions, sometimes it also gets affected by many glitches and errors. One such error is QuickBooks is Unable to Open this company file.
However, If you think that you need immediate assistance from our certified specialized advisors, you can presently get in communication with us dial 1.855.738.2784
Reasons that Cause QuickBooks is unable to open the company file
There could be various reasons behind this error but without knowing the reasons behind this error. We cannot take any steps further because without knowing the correct explanation. We may create any other errors. Here are the reasons:
- When the company file got damaged, after using it last time
- Due to the corruption in the hard drive, the company file got damaged or corrupted
- Problems with the company file location and extension of the file
- Due to a conflict in *QBW.tlg.file
- The user might be using the older version of QuickBooks software to open the files
- The company file name is huge
- Damaged or missing QBWUSER.INI file
- Damaged or corrupted QuickBooks central files
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Error 6155
Symptoms of QuickBooks is unable to open the company file.
When this kind of error happens, they leave some symptoms on the system. These are some of the known systems when this error occurs:
- The computer sluggish
- The system becomes very low
- Computer stops giving response to the given command
- The company file didn’t open
Here’s the resolution to fix “QuickBooks is unable to open the company file.”
If you are getting the error while opening your company file in the QuickBooks desktop program, then no problem. We’re here to help you. Sometimes you may not see any notification regarding this error or any warnings about this issue. But don’t worry. Here we’ve given several fixes for this kind of issue.
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks with the Latest Version
You can update your QuickBooks Desktop program automatically and manually. You can automatically update your QuickBooks desktop and install the latest version when they’re available. If you decide to do it manually, then check for the updates at least once a month.
Here’s a quick guide on how to update QuickBooks manually
- Open QuickBooks Desktop Program
- Here, Press F2 (or CTRL+1) to open the Product Information Window.
- You can here check the current version and release.
- Now, go to the “Help” menu and select “Update QuickBooks.”
- Go for the “Options” tab and select “Mark All,” and then select “Save.”
- Commune the “Update Now” tab and choose the “Reset Update” checkbox.
- When you’re ready for the Update, select “Get Updates.”
When the Update completes, near and reopen QuickBooks Desktop. To install the updates, select YES. When the installation finishes, restart your computer to make a place for the new version.
Solution 2: Find Out What Causing The Error
Now, let’s find out what’s causing the error in QuickBooks program files:
- Click on the Start Menu
- Type for “File Explorer” into the search box and press enter
- Here, now search for the QuickBooks.exe file. It usually comes under the QuickBooks folder
- Now, Hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard and double-click QuickBooks.exe. Do not remove hands from the CTRL key until QuickBooks Desktop opens.
If the QuickBooks or the test file didn’t open or see any errors, the program is causing the issue. Now it’s confirmed that your file isn’t causing the error here.
Solution 3: Move the Company File to a New Location
The company file location might be causing the issue. So move it to another place and try to open it from there.
- Press the Windows+R key to open the Run command
- Here, type “File Manager” in the search box, then press enter
- Search and find the folder with your company file. It usually happens in the QuickBooks folder. It will look like this [Your Company Name].qbw.
- Now right-click on your company file and select copy, or select the file and Press CTRL+c to copy.
- Go to the desired folder where you want to put the file back again and Right-click on select Paste.
Solution 4: Turn Off the auto Saving feature when closing the file
If your system has limited resources, with the large company file or having several windows set to open automatically, it may freeze QuickBooks when it starts on startup. Here’s what to do to prevent them from the opening:
- Starts QuickBooks Desktop Program
- When the No Company Open Window, select your company file from the list. Hold the ALT key on your keyboard and select Open. Do not remove your hand from the ALT key until the file opens. (It may ask you to enter the password)
- Now, go for the “Edit” menu and select “Preferences.”
- Choose the “Desktop View” tab
- Select the “Don’t save the desktop” option and select OK.
- Close the QuickBooks and reopen QuickBooks and your company files again.
Solution 5: Check and Confirm your Company File Properties
- Press the Windows Key and open the start menu and Open the File Explorer
- Now, search and find your company file. It will look like this [Your company name].qbw.
- Here, Right-click on the company file and select Properties
- In properties, select the Advanced tab
- Here, Uncheck the “Compress” and “Encrypt” checkboxes, and press OK.
We hope that these steps will help you solve the QuickBooks is unable to open the company file issue you are facing. Suppose you are still not able to fix the error or getting confused about how to do it. Don’t worry. We are here for you. Get in touch with our certified technical experts for an instant solution to your error dial 1.855.738.2784
Also read: Top 6 ways to Rectify QuickBooks Error PS107