When a possum shows up on your roof and you’ve got it surrounded, here’s what to do: If the possum is in the garden or roof, grab a shovel and trap it. The next step would be to place a sign outside, like this one I made: DO NOT FEED THE POSSUM! Living in an attic or house? Get some traps from your hardware store before they cause any further damage. Then start trapping them and follow these steps for quick disposal and to Remove possum from roof on your own.
- Use a broom handle to grab it by the tail.
- Use a garden hose to spray down the possum.
- Slowly release the possum down a nearby drain or well-treaded path, to where you can let it loose in your yard. Now dump it in a trash bag and dispose of it far from your house and roof.
- If you’re getting rid of it for good, make sure to spray it down with some sort of pesticide before you throw it in the trash to protect your pets from diseases.
- Remove any waste food that has been thrown up into the attic and make your home as scent-free as possible by using baking soda on areas such as under sinks and on vents where possums like to visit.
- Cover up any vents or holes with galvanized steel so that no possums can climb back into your attic.
- Get a screen for your chimney, if you haven’t already. Make sure your chimney is clean and in working order.
- Sprinkle some cayenne pepper on the possum to make it more uncomfortable as well as to attract a bird or hawk to kill it. If you have no pets, then consider wearing gloves so you don’t get any diseases from handling the animal.
- If you don’t want to take the time and energy to provide food for the creature, or if you’re too much of a wimp to handle a dead animal that may be crawling with the disease, then call and hire a professional to do the work for you.
- Go back outside with your shovel and trap to get rid of it.
All these 10 tips will be helpful for you if you want to remove possum from roof on your own. You can use these tips at home for easy removal of possums.
You never know when you might need to know how to remove possums from the roof on your own. They are pesky pests and they can cause serious damage if they’re not dealt with quickly. So, you need to remove them quickly from your roof. You can also hire the best local pest control canberra for this task.