Windows update is a way to keep your operating system and other Microsoft products updated so that users can get the benefits of all the latest features. However, Windows update also gets subjected to several recurring update errors.
The most commonly occurring Windows update error that you may come across is “Windows Update Service Not Running.” Sounds familiar? Then let’s introduce you to some of the fixes you can take up to outdo the frequently occurring error on your PC.
Windows Update Service Not Running: Fixing techniques
Given below are some of the effective methods to deal with the “Windows Update Service Not Running” issue on your PC:
Also Read :- How To Fix windows modules installer worker high disk
Method 1: Restart your PC
Any issue that gets triggered on your PC should first be tried to be dealt with by restarting your PC. Restarting helps to wipe out the system memory from the computer.
Method 2: Windows update troubleshooter
Windows 10 comes equipped with the inbuilt troubleshooter that on being run, helps you diagnose the issues with your PC and eventually eliminate them. To use the troubleshooter, you need to take the steps given below:
- Firstly, go to the Start menu and open Settings.
- Now, click on Update & Security.
- On the left side pane, click on Troubleshoot.
- Now click on the Additional troubleshooters option.
- Then, select Windows Update and click on Run the troubleshooter.
Method 3: Windows Update Service reconfiguration
If the Windows troubleshooting doesn’t prove of any help, you should check whether it’s set up to run automatically on your Windows. To proceed, you need to check out the steps given below:
- Open the Run box by pressing Windows + R on your keyboard.
- Now, type services.msc, and then click on OK.
- Next, go to the Windows Update option, right-click on it and open its Properties.
- In the Properties window, change Startup Type to Automatic and then click on the Apply button.
- Then set the Service Status to Running, and click on OK.
- Repeat steps 3-6 to set the following:
o Background Intelligent Transfer Service
o Cryptographic Services
- Lastly, restart your PC and check if the error has been resolved.
Also Read :- How To Fix windows modules installer worker 100% disk
Method 4: Check for Viruses
You should considerably run an antivirus to check if the virus has invaded your system leading to the “Windows Update Service Not Running” error on your PC. You can use any antivirus program to scan your PC for viruses.
Method 5: Disable Firewall or antivirus software
If your system is loaded with a third-party firewall utility, your Windows update may get blocked causing the issue. You can, however, get rid of this by disabling the Firewall and uninstalling the available antivirus software, and then check if the error persists.
Method 6: Delete Temporary Files
You can do this using the instructions given below:
- Firstly, open the Run dialog box using the keyboard shortcut keys Windows + R.
- Now type temp on the available field and hit enter.
- A Windows Explorer opens up with all the existing temp folders.
- Select the files in the temp folder and delete them all.