QuickBooks Error 12002 indicates a connection timeout or QuickBooks’ inability to establish a connection with its main servers. Users get this error after a new update or while updating the QuickBooks Payrolls. First, we’ll look at the reasons for this issue and how to fix QuickBooks Error 12002. So, keep an eye on this segment and fix this issue in no time.
You might see an error message on your desktop screen that stating:
Also read: QuickBooks payroll error 15223
Reasons Behind to QuickBooks Error 12002
Let’s check out some of the reasons corresponding to QuickBooks error 12002:
- First, a connection timeout is preventing QuickBooks from accessing the servers.
- Wrong SSL settings.
- QuickBooks is unable to access the internet because of firewalls or internet security.
- The poor internet connection can also invoke error 12002.
- Any other default browser than “Internet Explorer.”
Methods to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 12002
Before we take a look at different steps about fixing QuickBooks Error 12002, it is advisable to perform the preventive measures mentioned below:
Step 1: Create A Company File Backup
- Open “QuickBooks Desktop” on your system
- Click on the “Files” menu & opt for the “Backup Company Files” option.
- Create a local backup of the complete data.
- After successfully creating a local backup, follow the instructions to create a backup of company files.
Step 2: Update QuickBooks Desktop App
- Open the “QuickBooks Desktop” and go to the “QuickBooks Help” menu.
- Under the menu, opt for the “Update QuickBooks” option.
- Go for the “Update Now.”
- In the update click on the “Get Updates” option.
- Wait, as the download of updates and sync with the server takes some time.
- Click on the “Update Now” after the conclusion of the process.
After the creation of the Company Files backup and upgradation of the QuickBooks Desktop, now let’s move towards various methods to fix QuickBooks error 12002.
Method 1: Checking the Internet Explorer Settings
- After closing the QuickBooks Desktop App, open Internet Explorer.
- Go to “Tools” and then look for the “Internet Option.”
- Also, select “Security Setting” and make sure that setting is set to “Medium High.”
- Tap on the “Globe” icon and later switch to “Content Tab” & also ensure that the “Content Adviser” button is active.
- After following the previous steps, tap on the “Connection Tab” and follow the steps mentioned:
- Opt for “Never A Dial Connection.”
- Check for the right ISP and click on the “OK” button.
- Verify whether the automatically detect settings box is enabled and “Use a Proxy Server” is enabled.
- Un-check the “Port 80” check box.
- After completing all the settings, click the “OK” button.
- Now, head towards the “Advanced Tab”:
- Restore all the advanced settings by clicking on available options.
- Later, look for “Use TLS 1.0,” “Use TLS 1.1,” and “Use TLS 1.2.”
- Ascertain that “TLS 1.0” is checked and the other two are unchecked.
- After completing all the mentioned steps, click on the “OK” button and exit from “Internet Explorer.”
- Restart your system and again try to update the QuickBooks Desktop accounting software.
Method 2: Cross-Check the Internet Connectivity
Users shall use this method if the previous solution falls flat and error 12002 is displayed again:
- Look for the “Select the Help” option and then choose the Internet Connection Setup.
- Now, opt for “Use my computer’s internet connection settings to establish a connection when this application accesses the Internet.”
- Users should again try to update
- For QuickBooks 2008 and later versions: Select the “Help” option and click on “Update QuickBooks,” and then tap on “Update Now.”
- For QuickBooks 2006 and older versions: Go to the “Files” menu and then to “Update QuickBooks” and choose the “Update Now” option.
Method 3: Set up an Internet Connection
- Go to the “QuickBooks Desktop” & look for the “Help” menu and opt for the “Internet Connection Set Up option.”
- Click on the “Internet Connection Setup” and allow internet connectivity with the app.
- Tap on “Next,” and the settings will be saved.
- Again, attempt to update the app and figure out whether the problem is resolved or not.
Method 4: Update your Chrome Browser (for users who don’t have Internet Explorer as their default browser)
- Open “Chrome Browser” on your system.
- Go to the browser’s upper right and select the “More” button.
- Click on the “Update Google Chrome” option.
- Wait till the download and update of the browser are complete.
- After the process is complete, hit the “Relaunch” button & again attempt to upgrade the “QuickBooks Desktop.”
With the help of this blog, we discussed all the possible reasons and fixation methods for QuickBooks error 12002. One of the primary reasons behind error 12002 is the loss of connectivity between QuickBooks and its server due to the breakdown of the internet connection between the system and app. We also laid down step-by-step solutions to troubleshoot error 12002, like setting up an internet connection, checking the internet explorer’s setting, and keeping Google Chrome up-to-date, especially if Internet Explorer isn’t your default browser.
However, for any type of other query, users must contact the QuickBooks payroll error support team immediately if all the discussed methods and solutions don’t resolve the problem.