Shopify has proved to be a successful medium for millions of merchants to develop their apps to connect and grow in every respective field, be it marketing, production, finance, supply chain, or any other over the years.
So, if you are thoughtful of Shopify App Development and launching it over Shopify Store, here I am to guide you so that you could become an honorable member of this community and play a key role in this revolutionized e-commerce world.
However, before launching your app, it is necessary to check that the app development process is completed and you have gone through all the steps that might be required for the purpose. The most important aspect of app launching is that you have correctly optimized your app to increase its reach towards all the relevant merchants.
This post will assist you to go through all the necessary steps and including all the elements to make your app topnotch so that it could be easily submitted to the Shopify app store and make a positive difference in the Shopify ecosystem.
Developing Shopify app: Tools and Resources
First of all, there is a need to have a unique idea regarding your app. What is your interest, what do you want to sell, how can you make a difference in such a diverse ecosystem? After that, you need to have an understanding of the design of the app. The design must include three key features:
After selecting the design, it’s time to finally develop your app. The best thing about developing your app on Shopify is that everybody can develop their apps in their way, by selecting any programming language that they are familiar with.
Having said that, if you are confused that you have not built an app before, Shopify assists by presenting many tools and resources that will lead you the way through all the important steps to build a top-notch Shopify app.
In this segment of the post, you will get to know some valuable practices and tools that will guide you through developing an outstanding Shopify app.
Basics and practices while developing your app
Following are some basics that every app builder must go through before jumping into real development:
- A Shopify Partner account and development store
- A ngrok account
- To be open to utilizing your computer’s command line and content tool
- To be comfortable reading and writing in any backend programming language, such as PHP, Node.JS, Java, Python, or Ruby on Rails
- To be able to install software using the npm package manager
The feature named Partner Dashboard is where you can create, review, and revise your apps. Following are some general steps that you need to follow to develop an embedded app
- Set up your app by following the steps laid out on the Apps page in the Partner Dashboard
- Embed your app in the Shopify platform
- Build your user interface using Polaris
- Access and set up the GraphQL Admin API or REST API
- Connect the Billing API
- Capture and react to events using webhooks or EventBridge
Setup and Tools
Now there comes the question regarding the hosting of the apps. Well, Shopify App Development Company allows these apps to be hosted on the infrastructure of the person who is developing his/her app. You are also free to develop your app with the tech stack with which you are most comfortable. Due to this, The app setup gets dependent upon the programming language and framework you have your hands on and on your app goals as well.
What to do before submitting your app to the Shopify app store?
So now, if the development process is completed and you are all set to launch your app on the Shopify App Store, your app must be verified by the Shopify App Review team. If you want to make sure that your app gets successful in the review process, you must check the following points before submission:
- App name: The name of the app must be a mixture of uniqueness, smartness, style, relevance, and boldness. These features will make the name of your app memorable and provide clarity for the brand. So, take time and come up with the best name anyone could think of.
- App listing graphics: Graphics leave a long-lasting impact on anybody’s mind whoever sees it and absorbs it. For the purpose of Shopify AppStore listing, an image must be attached that could give a clear and bold impression to the merchants so that they could understand the purpose of your app and the value that will be communicated through your app to them. Some crucial listing elements are; an app card, app banner, and an app icon.
- App description: Despite visuals and name there must be some written description regarding the app so that merchants could be even more clear about the communication. The app description must contain:
- A tagline that gives a unique impression with relevant keywords
- Key benefits that precisely describe the value to be delivered through your app
- A detailed description that builds on those key benefits and highlights how your app provides solutions to specific merchant needs
However, there is no space for the errors to be there in the description before submission. You must choose your words wisely as they will be leaving an impact on the reader, for instance, if you target a special group of merchants or a niche it must be clearly mentioned with the benefit your app will provide to help their business grow. Another feature that can increase the ranking of your app on the Shopify app store is SEO fundamentals.
- Documentation: Despite app the description which is more of a precise description, a full document must be provided to the merchants. This documentation must be in detail, describing all the possible pieces of information i.e. How does someone get to your Shopify app/install it, what are the possible features, what benefit does your app will provide to the merchants, etc. For this purpose technical formats like videos, in-depth techniques, FAQs must be provided to make them understand it better. It must also be easily accessible and contain information regarding how to even uninstall your app so that merchants could save their time without getting irritated.
- Support: Support channels play a vital role in the way of communication with the merchants. For this purpose, at a minimum, add a phone number and an email address in the Shopify app, so that the merchants can feel free to use the support channel in need and talk about any sort of ambiguity.
- Monitoring: So now, let’s suppose the merchants have installed your app, next step is to make your app reliable. The only way to make it is to check up on your app regularly so that you could save your and merchants’ time. For this purpose, you must install software like Pingdom or New Relic. These software are paid tools, enabling you to get alerts about any technical issue and prevent protected issues or outage times for users.
- Uninstallation and reinstallation: In order to save the forthe merchant the process of installation and uninstallation must be clear and easy. Try to register your app/uninstall webhook, so that you could get notified whenever your app gets uninstalled. Merchants will get less irritated if they will be able to uninstall your app and install it at any future date easily.
- Billing: To make billing seamless you must use billing API so that the app charging process could be integrated into the customer’s sale process. By integrating it, the invoices will be automatically be generated saving both merchants’ and developers’ time.
- Marketing: Lat but not least, marketing plays a vital role in the reach and usage of your app. You must have a proper marketing plan before, during, and after launching your app even before the submission. You can use any marketing tactics like social media posts, partner co-marketing, direct marketing, a press release to create a buzz for your app. The marketing message must be clear and relevant so the value could be communicated accordingly.
FINAL VERDICT – GO Submit it and Get Approved
Now, if you have followed all the steps and included all the important elements mentioned in this blog post, congratulations! You are ready to submit your Shopify app to the Shopify AppStore Review team. We assure you that your app will be approved and you are good to go to make a positive impact in the global eCommerce system.