Postingtree! If you are developing a strategy to break VBA password in Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, etc. this blog post will be of great help to you because here we provide a reasonable solution to complete the process without losing any information. Before explaining this process, let’s cover some other important information. Sometimes developers or programmers lost passwords for VBA projects. To use the VBA project file, the user must remove the password. In this post, we will explain the manual and non-manual solutions to users.
As we all know, VBA is short for Visual Basic for Application. It is part of Microsoft Office and is used by various Microsoft applications such as Excel, Word and Access. This is an extension for a file that uses the Visual Basic programming language and stores the Visual Basic source code. This file is used to add functionality to Microsoft Office programs and to automate common tasks, especially in Microsoft Excel.
Why Do Users Break VBA Password in Excel?
- Someone sends you an Excel workbook and you can’t open the file because it’s password protected with VBA.
- Sample files for password-protected VBA projects can be downloaded online by any coder and developer. But they can’t use macros and VBA modules because of the password.
We have already mentioned several reasons. But for more reasons, users are looking for a manual solution to remove passwords from Excel spreadsheets via VBA.
Manual Method to Unlock VBA Micro Password from Excel
#1 Unlock VBA Password by Changing File Extension
- Open VBA file and change the extension from .xlsm to .zip
- Double-click to open the Zip file using the WinZip/WinRar program
- Press the xl folder
- Now export the VBAproject.bin file and open it with a hex editor
- After that, replace DPB with DPx in hex editor and save
- Rename old vbaProject.bin file in the zip folder to the new vbaProject.bin file
- Now change the file extension from .zip to .xlsm
- Start Visual Basic in Microsoft Excel by selecting Tools >> VBAProject Properties
- Select the Protection tab, set a new password and save it in .xlsm format
- Finally, users can easily open the VBA file project by entering a new password
# 3 Crack VBA Password in Excel Workbook via Hex Editor
- First, create a new Microsoft Excel XLS / XLSX file using the Hex Editor program
- Secondly, set a new password in the VBA file, the shortcut key is Alt + F11
- Save the most recently created file anywhere and click the Exit tab
- Now open the file with a hex editor and copy each file starting with CMG = …, DPB = … and GC = …
- Copy the line above and paste it. Open the file whose VBA password you want to remove in a hex editor
- Finally, save the Excel file and exit to unlock the VBA project password
- Now set the generic password you used in the previous step for the dummy VBA file.
Limitations of the Manual Methods
So in the end, we suggest you to use various manual methods to crack VBA password in Excel. But this method is unprofessional. There are some limitations:
- If you have VBA password protected batch files, these methods will waste your time and effort because they cannot crack VBA password macros and modules in Excel workbooks.
- There are many steps you need to take to remove VBA password in Excel, so you need to know the technical details to perform all these steps.
- After removing the VBA password from Excel, there is no guarantee that it will keep the text formatting and all elements in their original state. Maybe you have lost your data in the process.
Direct Solution to Break VBA Password in Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003
SysTools VBA Password Recovery Wizard was created after extensive research on how to unlock VBA micro passwords for excel. The software is designed with state of the art algorithms which is why it is so effective in removing VBA passwords from excel files. Also, users can unlock passwords for multiple files at the same time. The software is also compatible with all SolidWorks files. The software has a simple and user-friendly interface suitable for all types of technical and non-technical users. Here are some of the amazing advanced features:
- This software supports all VBA project files such as .xltm, .xlsm, .xlam, .xlsb.
- This application is equipped to easily remove highly secure VBA passwords from projects.
- The program offers two different upload methods, one for a VBA file and one for uploading multiple files at the same time.
- These tools usually have a free version that users can try to familiarize themselves with its interface and functions.
- It can easily remove VBA macro code from all types of VBA project files.
- Furthermore, users can easily use the software on all versions of Windows OS including Windows 11, 10, 8 and all previous versions.
Steps to Break VBA Password in Excel
- Launch and Install the Software on your system
- Click the Add Files button to add MS Office VBA project files from your system
- Navigate to the location where you saved the VBA file to select the file. Click the Open button
- After adding files, the software will load them and display the added VBA files in the software panel. It will also show the path of the selected file and the size of the file in KB
- After completed all the steps, press the “Reset” tab to recover the password protected VBA file.
In answering the question “How to break VBA password in excel”, we describe 2 manual methods that users can choose from. However, the limitations of the manual method make it difficult for users to implement this method. That is why the software mentioned at the beginning of this article and the software described above is by far the best choice for users to unlock passwords.