QuickBooks is one of the many types of bookkeeping software normally used by individuals and small corporations. Intuit, the maker of QuickBooks, gives software (referred to as proadvisor) via which the business enterprise will certify that you are ready with their software. Different intuit-legal QuickBooks certifications are also available, such as through the National Association of Certified Public Bookkeepers (NACPB). While you may use these certifications to concisely show clients which you are familiar with and equipped with the use of QuickBooks, you ought to notice that the process no longer equates to formal accounting education, and it does now not stand in as accepted certification as a bookkeeper or accountant. With the aid of knowing what the method really connotes and what to anticipate of it, you may come to be QuickBooks certified.
Preparing for the Certification Exam
Ask yourself if you need the certification
While a few individuals might also advantage from a QuickBooks certification, others may also discover it useless. While you can’t claim to be “certified” with QuickBooks without the certification process, that doesn’t prevent you from in any other case becoming proficient in—or even mastering—the software. The certification additionally applies simplest to QuickBooks. Since the consumer interface for different accounting software can be completely distinctive, a QuickBooks certification doesn’t help you with customers or employers who assume you to use different accounting software.
- Notice that for the reason that the certification procedure often permits you to market your experience with QuickBooks to others, it’s largely useless in case you most effectively use the software on your personal price range or those of your small commercial enterprise. At the same time as you should continually learn how to use your preferred accounting software program correctly, you don’t require a personal certification to achieve this.
- Since QuickBooks is only one form of accounting software, and it largely handles the required math for you, don’t confuse a QuickBooks certification with training in accounting. The certification does now not make you an authorized bookkeeper or accountant.
Gain experience working with QuickBooks
Intuit recommends that you have at least two years of experience in the usage of QuickBooks for tasks associated with payroll and invoicing, in addition to budgeting and cost reports. However, there aren’t any formal eligibility necessities related to the certification manner, so you can take the certification exam as quickly as you sense you’ve got the necessary talents.
- Keep in mind getting QuickBooks certified isn’t always required for bookkeepers, business owners, or anybody else who is talented with the software. Becoming QuickBooks licensed method you can use a reputable QuickBooks certification and emblem on your resume and business documents, that’s primarily a marketing tool for attracting customers or employers who specifically need you to have its experience.
Learn what to expect from the exam
You can expect to be tested on a variety of skills related to QuickBooks usage. These include:
- Setting up the software
- Working with lists
- Working with various bank accounts
- Using other QuickBooks accounts
- Entering data for sales and invoices
- Receiving payments and making deposits with the software
- Entering and paying bills
- Analyzing financial data in QuickBooks
Research which type of certification fits your needs
Intuit offers a variety of various variations of QuickBooks primarily based on individual or employer desires. Equally, they offer special degrees of certification, checking out extraordinary levels of the software’s capability. Once more, for the reason that certification is mostly an advertising and marketing tool to goal your customer demographic, you must most effectively consider certification to the extent that makes experience in your usage. You can apply for certifications such as:
- ProAdvisor without Certification: This level provides QuickBooks training materials without an actual certification. You will learn basic QuickBooks skills similar to those in non-Intuit training methods for the software.
- ProAdvisor with Certification in QuickBooks Pro/Premier: You will need to take a simplistic certification test that focuses on various aspects of using QuickBooks Pro and Premier.
- ProAdvisor with Certification in Intuit QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions: This is a slightly more complex certification test. You will be focusing on the Intuit QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions product.
- ProAdvisor with Certification in QuickBooks Point of Sale: This is a fairly complex certification test. You will be focusing on the QuickBooks Point of Sale products.
- Advanced Certified ProAdvisor: You will take an extremely complex certification exam. You will also be tested on the advanced functionality of the products, troubleshooting errors, integrating third-party applications, detailed job costing, and several other advanced areas.
Decide if a training course is right for you
If you aren’t yet assured in your level of QuickBooks understanding to skip your chosen certification exam, you could usually take its training classes. You may discover a big selection of these instructions each in person and online to fit your schedule.
- Official online or in-person training via the intuit academy. Although you need to note that taking the classes through intuit does not always make you greater certified for the certification exam.
- Via an authorized accounting organization. The NACPB gives a training course that culminates inside the certification examination for $499.
- Thru an approved bookkeeping class. You could also take instructions on QuickBooks basics through a variety of accredited colleges or other educational institutions. Particularly if you’ve determined you need to learn it without being worried about the certification method, you could still learn the essential abilities with the software for your needs with this technique.
Buy an exam study guide
A study guide is another choice on the subject of making ready for your certification. Since the certification examination is an open-e-book test, you may also use a have a study guide as a reference later during your real certification exams.
Taking the Certification Exam
Complete several practice exams
There are several free practice exams available online via intuit and other schooling applications. While they aren’t required to take the real certification, you may take a look at your preparedness by using taking at least practice tests. Time them for two hours (the time given for the professional exam). The authentic examination is an open ebook, so feel free to use your study guide during your practice exams.
Sign up to take the exam
The QuickBooks exam is overseen by the National Association of Certified Public bookkeepers (NACPB). You can take the exam online through accountant training and check out the testing center (ATTC).
- When you are ready to take the examination, go to the ATTC’s schedule a test web page and schedule a date and time you want to take the test. The ATTC will then e-mail you information approximately your agenda date and time for the exam.
- Note that while being offered thru an official bookkeeping affiliation, the test still only demonstrates your proficiency with QuickBooks, and it in no manner certifies you as a bookkeeper or an accountant.
Take the exam
The examination includes 50 multiple choice questions and simulations. To pass the exam, you have to rate at the least 75%, or 37 out of 50 questions accurately. But, the exam is an open e-book and you’re given two hours to complete the examination. Upon passing the examination, you’ll receive an official certificate and certification brand that you could use to market yourself to clients and capable employers who use QuickBooks.