The QuickBooks error 1402 occurs when the application can’t open the key. This happens when some essential files cannot be properly downloaded, and thus, the QuickBooks installation becomes faulty. There can be many possible reasons why the QuickBooks installation error 1402 takes place. If you are encountering this error and want to learn the solutions to resolve it, follow the reasons and solutions provided in this article to fix the error effectively and resume working on the QuickBooks application seamlessly.
You can take help from our technical team in fixing the error if you are unable to perform the steps on your own. Dial 1.855.738.2784 to contact us and get immediate assistance.
What Triggers the QuickBooks Error Code 1402?
The various possible reasons that might trigger the QuickBooks error 1402 are –
- Damage to the .Net framework is the primary cause of the error.
- Damaged MSXML or C++ components can also trigger the error while installing QuickBooks.
- The QuickBooks application is not correctly installed.
- Multiple issues with Windows, including outdated Windows, can also lead to this error.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Error 1723
Steps to Terminate QuickBooks Installation Error 1402
The QuickBooks error code 1402 can be resolved with the help of the below-mentioned steps –
Step 1 – Exclude QB from the BitDefender List
Add QB to the BitDefender exclusion list to rectify the QB error 1402.
- If you are using the 32-bit Windows OS, enter the following path in the exclusion list – C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles.
- If you are using the 64-bit version, enter C:\ProgramFiles\Intuit (C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit)in the exclusion list.
Step 2 – Diagnose QuickBooks for Installation Errors
For this, you need to use the QB Tool Hub. Run the QB Install Diagnostic tool and repair the QB installation error 1402.
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub and install the exe file.
- Once installed, access the tool hub and go to the Installation Issues
- Select the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tooland run a quick diagnosis.
- Let the tool run and once the diagnosis ends, check whether the QB Desktop error 1402 is eliminated.
Step 3 – Upgrade Your Windows Software to the Latest Release
Updating the Windows OS can help you address the QuickBooks error 1402: Could not open key.
- Go to the Windows Startmenu and right-click on the start button to select the Settings
- Click on Update & Securityand select the Windows Update
- Click on Check for Updatesand see if any updates are available to download.
- Download the updates and perform a system restart to eliminate the QB update error 1402.
Step 4 – Modify the QuickBooks Registry in Windows Registry Settings
Change the Windows registry settings by following the steps below –
- Press Windows + Rto access the Run window and type regedit in the text box.
- Make sure to back up the registry beforehand and go to the File
- Select Exportand type the name of your backup file to save it.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classesand select Permissions from the Edit
- Click Addand select Everyone for each object name. Mark the Full Control option and exit the registry.
Effectively fix the QuickBooks error 1402 by performing the steps given above. If you are still unable to resolve the error, reach out to our team of experts at 1.855.738.2784 to get assistance in addressing the issue.
Also see: Quick Steps to Move QuickBooks Company File to a New Computer