Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test, popularly known as BITSAT, is an all-important exam for Engineering aspirants. This entrance exam holds equal importance as JEE Main and JEE Advanced exams. BITSAT is conducted by one of India’s best private engineering institutes known as The Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani. It has campuses in different places in India and one campus in Dubai.
We all know that BITSAT 2021 has been postponed amid the outbreak of COVID-19. BITS is yet to announce the new dates for the exam. It was supposed to be held from 24th to 29th June 2021. The deadline for application form submission has also been extended till 30th June.
It’s quite problematic for aspirants to cope with such an atmosphere. Exams are getting postponed, and there is not much clarity as to when the exams will be held. However, the preparation should never get postponed no matter what!
We’re hopeful that the dates will be announced soon, and you should be exam-ready before the exam comes knocking!
Here are some fantastic BITSAT preparation tips that will help you with the exam and having a shot at one of the best private Engineering colleges in India:
Stick to a Plan
A study plan is very important for any exam. You need to plan on how you’re going to study.
Create a timetable according to the syllabus. After that divide your time for each subject and their topics equally and start your preparation accordingly.
First, go with the topics you find hard to understand and have a good grasp on them.
Don’t try to cram on too much information, it will create a negative impact and you won’t be able to learn anything. Keep track of your plan and try to complete your syllabus on time.
Practice Makes You Perfect
Everything in life achievable with hard work & regular practice and as they say hard work always pays off.
BITSAT is mainly considered a little easier than JEE Main & JEE Advanced, but the preparation requires constant and regular practice. You need to solve 150 questions in 3 hours and it’s not easy.
You need to focus on improving your question-solving speed and accuracy, decide which question to solve first, and finish the exam on time so that you can attempt bonus questions.
The right dose of practice will help you coordinate speed and accuracy, which is an essential aspect of BITSAT.
Revision is an important part of any exam preparation. One thing that sets apart toppers from average candidates is the proper revision of each subject. You will always find toppers on the top of their game when it comes to revision. Revise each topic once you finish studying them.
When your syllabus completes on time, allocate at least 2 weeks for revision of all subjects before the exam.
Make notes or flashcards for all the formulas and important points. These cards will help you with instant revision. This way, you’ll be able to retain it for more extended periods.
Solve Mock Tests
Mock tests help you with checking your bitsat preparation level and analyze your performance, so you can work on your weaker points. Online mock tests will help you get an understanding of the real exam before the exam.
BITSAT is a computer-based exam, so it is also important to know your speed in online tests. Solving multiple mock tests will improve your speed as well as get used to the exam environment.
Time management is an essential aspect of BITSAT preparation, unlike other exams. The number of questions asked on the paper is much more and even double compared to other entrance exams.
It is important to have a better time management plan to solve all questions in time. To work on your time management skills for this exam, you must do a lot of practice.
Choosing Your Strong Area
It is wise for a BITSAT aspirant to decide their strong and weak because this exam carries many questions and negative markings.
It is wise to leave the questions you are not very confident about rather than wasting your time on them and putting yourself at risk of losing marks due to the negative marking exam pattern.
Prepare for Shorter but Trickier Questions
While preparing, always keep in mind that lengthier and tedious questions generally don’t have a place in BITSAT.
This exam focuses more on shorter but trickier questions that will test your concept clarity. And if your basics are sound and in place, then these questions can turn out to be more scoring for you as they will take less time and ensure marks.
Other Important BITSAT Preparation Tips
Also, it would help if you kept yourself prepared for the bonus questions as well. If you can complete the 150 questions within time, then 12 bonus questions will be unlocked for answering. This will give you an extra edge over others. If you have already attempted at least 145 questions, just make an intelligent guess over the remaining 5 questions to get 12 bonus questions. This would make amends for the 5 guesses you made earlier if they turned out to be incorrect. You should attempt this only if you have about 15–20 minutes remaining on the clock.
Apart from these tips, you must also know some subject-wise tips that can be handy in your preparation. Check them out below:
- NCERT books are essential for preparation. Study the books inside out and don’t leave any important topics. Clear your fundamentals.
- Try to solve numerical problems in a short time as speed is very important in BITSAT.
- Mechanics and Thermodynamics are the most important topics. So, make sure you study each point in depth.
- Learn the formulas thoroughly. Keep revising them until the last moment. The direct application of formulas can help you to solve many questions.
- Make notes of the formulas and important points which will help you with revision.
- While solving questions in Physics, emphasize dimensional analysis.
Physics Books to Study-
The physics section of the exam is a little tough for students. They know should know the derivation and practical application of any formula or equation, to easily solve the question in this section. Some of the important topics that are asked are:
- Wave Motion
- Electromagnetic Induction
- Modern Physics
- Electric Current
The recommended study material for this section is as follows:
- NCERT Physics Textbook for Class 11 and 12
- Concepts of Physics by HC Verma: Important for both reference and preparation for competitive exams. This book has included chapters that are carefully formatted and explained.
- Understanding Physics by DC Pandey
- NCERT is extremely important for BITSAT preparation for chemistry. Try not to leave out any topic in from the NCERT books. Most questions are asked from the topics which students tend to ignore during preparation.
- The chemistry section is highly theoretical. Also, it is considered easier than Math and Physics.
- Inorganic Chemistry is tough when compared to Organic and Physical Chemistry. You should study from OP Tandon for Inorganic chemistry.
- Questions in Physical Chemistry are also of the textbook level, so NCERT books will be enough to study this.
- Memorize reactions – the important reactions should be at your tongue tip.
Chemistry Books to study –
To score more in this section, students need to study more theoretical and less application-based. Organic and physical chemistry papers mostly contain direct questions but inorganic chemistry questions are application-based.
Recommended books –
- NCERT Chemistry Textbook for Grade 11 and 12: this book is divided into 9 topics and covers some of the important topics such as– solutions, electrochemistry, surface chemistry, general principles, and processes of isolation of elements and coordination compounds.
- Physical Chemistry by P Bahadur: This book provides full coverage on all 3 sections of Chemistry – with relevant practical exercises and model test papers.
- Organic Chemistry by Arihant Publications: This book is divided into day-wise learning modules which clearly explained the concept of all subjects. Candidates can find the list of objective questions for most competitive exams.
- Inorganic Chemistry by OP Tandon: This book includes basic concepts of the periodic table and other important chemistry topics. The book also has an extensive list of practice questions.
- Study Coordinate Geometry, Calculus, and Complex Number very diligently. These are some of the most important topics.
- Students often tend to forget formulas in Trigonometry and Cartesian Geometry. Study them well. Their formulas may come in handy even in direct formula application questions.
- While solving previous year’s papers, try using trial and error and substitution methods to solve questions where you’re stuck.
Mathematics Books to study –
It is a crucial section of the exam with the maximum weightage. Candidates should opt for easy questions first in the maths section. Here are some important topics –
- Coordinate Geometry
- Differential Calculus
- Integral Calculus
Some of the recommended books for this section are:
- NCERT Maths for Grade 11 and 12: NCERT Maths book covers all the concepts to prepare for the exam. The books cover a variety of topics – trigonometry, matrices, algebra, etc.
- Objective Mathematics by R.D.Sharma: This is the best book for beginners in Mathematics, covering the following concepts – permutations, combinations, algebra, probability, and determinants.
BITSAT preparation requires thorough planning and a lot of hard work. If you can combine them both, nothing can stop you from cracking the exam with flying colors.
Ensure that you don’t worry about the exam’s result as it declines your performance. If you think about the result while taking the exam, you will surely mess things up. So be free and do what you know.
Stay home and stay safe. All the best for the exam!