Most of us Indians have eaten Pav once in our life. Some may even eat it regularly. But do you know how did Pav come into existence? or why is it so popular among the Indians ? I bet you don’t know the origins of Pav. The name Pav comes from the original portuguese word – Pão meaning bread.
It’s an Indian staple, and is commonly eaten by millions of Indians every day. Some people don’t know about the health benefits of wholewheat pav though, so let’s find out if it’s really all it’s cracked up to be.
Wholewheat Pav is a bread that we eat with our meals. It has a soft crust and a soft soft inside. Sometimes we can have it as such and sometimes have it with butter. I have tried white wholewheat ladi Pav and it was very tasty.
It is one of the most loved street food of India, loved all over the country but originated from Mumbai, hence the word Pav bhaji (Mumbai Local language)
Homemade wholewheat Pav is a food that we make during various occasions like birthdays, festivals, etc. when we want to treat our family and friends with something extra special. Homemade pav is delicious and it’s definitely better than the store bought ones.
Wholewheat ladi Pav can be made in many ways, this recipe of eggless whole wheat ladi pav uses whole wheat flour along with all purpose flour . Wholewheat pav also known as soft ladi pav, made using whole wheat flour and all purpose flour in 50:50 ratio.
Wholewheat ladi pav is best enjoyed hot with piping hot butter and can be frozen for upto a month. In this blog, we are going to take you through the recipe for a wholewheat pav With step-by-step instructions and my favorite tips for making the perfect wholewheat ladi pav snacks at home.
So you’ll be eating healthier and enjoying the deliciously soft and rich taste of a homemade wholewheat pav. If you love eating bread than you should try Whole Wheat Pav. What makes it even better is the fact that it combines almost equal amount of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour which makes it healthier version.
1 cup water, 1.5 cup whole wheat flour, 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
Half tablespoon active dry yeast
Half tblsp oil .
One teaspoon of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
How To Make Wholewheat Pav Dough
- Heat the water. Sugar should be dissolved in water.
- Sprinkle the yeast on top and whisk it in. Set aside for 10 minutes, or until the yeast froths and bubbles.
- While the flour is being proofed, sift it with salt.
- Toss the flour with the oil. Add the foamy yeast now.
- First, combine all of the ingredients.
- After that, begin kneading the dough. The dough must be light and silky. Using oil, grease the dough.
- Cover loosely with a kitchen napkin and keep in a big bowl.
- Set aside for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the dough has doubled in size. Keep it aside for a few more minutes if necessary.
Wholewheat Ladi Pav Recipe
- On a lightly floured surface, place the dough. The dough will naturally deflate.
- Make balls out of the dough now.
- Place the balls on the oiled baking sheet in a rectangular or circular shape.
- Keep a two-inch spacing between the pav to get the laadi of pav.
- You can also prepare little buns and bake them individually so they don’t touch.
- Cover loosely with a kitchen napkin and let it rise for another 45 minutes, or until it has fully doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and bake the wholewheat pav for 40-45 minutes, or until all of the pav is done and baked.
Tips While Making the Whole wheat Pav
- If the dough becomes sticky, add more flour, and if it isn’t smooth enough, add a little water.
- If the bread’s top surface browns quickly, cover it with aluminium foil or butter paper.
- This will help to prevent further browning.
- To give the wholewheat pav a glaze, brush them with oil or melted butter.
- It is essential to select only the highest grade yeast. If the yeast isn’t of high quality, the pav will be dense and have a yeasty aftertaste.
- For the best results, knead the dough well for 10 minutes.
How To Make Wholewheat Pav Without Oven?
- To make wholewheat pav in a pressure cooker, start by preheating the base.
- Then Place a small plate or the pressure cooker’s stand.
- Add 1 cup sand or salt in the base.
- Preheat the pressure cooker for 15 minutes
- In the heated cooker, place the tin containing the proofed wholewheat pav. Cook for 25-30 minutes on low heat
- Brush the pav buns with melted butter after baking and serve as needed.
This is a healthy and nutritious preparation. Wholewheat pav can be a part of your weight loss plans for you to shed off the extra kilos and maintain a healthy body weight. So, go ahead with this dish and enjoy healthy days
Using wholewheat ladi pav you can Make different types of wholewheat pav snacks like Pav Bhaji,Misal Pav, Vada Pav, Pav sandwich and many more.
These soft and delicious Bombay pav or ladi pav is quite popular in Mumbai. They are popularly served on the road side with spicy Pani Puri, Bhel Puri and Vada Pav.
These Wholewheat pav is the perfectly nutritious, tasty way to boost your energy levels and maintain your digestive health. This pav is healthy as well as delicious and makes a great alternative to your everyday breakfast buns.
There aren many health benefits of pav since it’s made of refined flour, which is bereft of any nutrients. Wholewheat Pav is, however, a great source of carbohydrates and had been consumed in the first meal of the day by generations of Indians, since the times when streets were not paved with gold (that we know of).
With changing lifestyles, multigrain and brown pav made of whole wheat are gaining ground and becoming popular among the health conscious lot. They lack the stretchy texture of pav that most love, but are more nutritious