Bacterial infection results in tooth abscess if left untreated. The pus pocket around the root of those infected teeth leads to – persistent throbbing pain, swelling of the face, foul-smelling taste, difficulty swallowing, and other discomforts. Seek expert guidance in order to safeguard dental health against hazards.
Poorly-managed tooth abscesses may cause pain to travel up to your jaw and neck, leading to fever, difficulty breathing, etc. The condition may become severe with time. If you feel your pain doesn’t heal, see your specialist. The more you wait, the higher chance of getting oral complications. Reach out to the leading dentist in Siliguri town, North Bengal.
Identifying the Signs of Tooth Abscess
With a tooth being infected, you feel
- Severe, throbbing tooth pain that persists
- Swelling of the check face
- Foul-smelling breath
- Swollen, tender lymph node
- Tooth sensitivity to cold hot, sweets
- Difficulty swallowing, chewing or biting
- Bitter taste
- Loose tooth
- Gums become red, tender
What Leads to Abscessed Tooth?
The likelihood of tooth abscess increases if you have:
Tooth Decay: This condition refers to the damage of tooth enamel, the outer coat of the teeth. Untreated tooth decay over time results in the cavity, the permanent damage that leads to the development of tiny holes in your teeth.
Gum Disease: Also termed periodontitis, severe gum inflammation can be responsible for gum and jawbone damage. At the same time, the risks of lung or heart health conditions uplift with gum disease.
Trauma: If an injury to the inner pulp remains unnoticed may contribute to tooth infection. Seeing a dentist on such happening is of importance.
Contributing factors for tooth abscess include:
- Poor oral care is a culprit for many dental conditions. Skipping two times brushing of teeth, and flossing every alternate day puts you at risk of such complications
- Dry mouth is another health concern. Lack of saliva in your mouth lets have bacteria. And there your chance of getting dental problems increase to a very great extent.
- Does your diet enrich in sugar content? If yes, then it’s high time you should have limited this. With such consumption, the risk of the cavity becomes three times higher.
Can You Prevent the Risks?
By following the day-to-day healthy lifestyle choices, you can boost your oral wellbeing:
- Brush your teeth gently twice a day
- Rinsing the mouth after food consumption is important
- Eat fiber-rich foods and limit sugary foods, alcoholic beverages, and frequent snacking
- Welcome flossing habits
- Mouthwash is not mandatory but before using it consult your dentist about its proper usage
- Visit your dentist every year so as to keep oral concerns at bay. Make sure if you have ongoing symptoms like tooth sensitivity, pain, gum tenderness, or gum bleeding, seek professional help earlier. You might consider an expert at the best dental clinic in Siliguri.
In order to diagnose if you have a tooth abscess, a doctor may go for a few procedures, such as – a dental X-ray, a physical exam of an infected tooth, a CT scan, and thermal tests. Treatment options include medications, root canal, pus drainage, tooth extraction, etc.