Touchless kitchen faucets are a modern innovation for the modern kitchen that allows you to turn on and off the water flow with a simple wave of your hand. They are designed to be convenient, hygienic, and eco-friendly, but they also come with some drawbacks. In this article, we will explore the pros and cons of touchless kitchen faucets and help you decide if they are worth it for your home.
Pros of Touchless Kitchen Faucets
- Less waste/better for the environment: Touchless faucets can help you save water and energy by automatically shutting off the water when not in use. Touchless faucets can reduce water consumption by up to 50% compared to standard faucets. This can lower your water bills and your carbon footprint.
- Easy to operate: Touchless faucets are very user-friendly and intuitive. You don’t have to worry about finding the right handle or knob to adjust the water flow or temperature. You can simply wave your hand in front of the sensor and get the water you need. Some models even have voice control features that let you use voice commands to control the faucet.
- Automatic water temperature and flow settings: Touchless faucets can also offer more precise and consistent water temperature and flow settings. You can preset the faucet to have the exact temperatures and water amounts you need for your daily use. For example, you can tell the faucet to fill a coffee pot or a baby bottle with the right amount of water at the right temperature.
- Less spread of germs: Touchless faucets can also help prevent the spread of germs and bacteria by eliminating the need to touch the faucet. This can be especially beneficial during cold and flu seasons or when handling raw meat or other foods that can contaminate the faucet. Touchless faucets can also keep your kitchen cleaner and more sanitary by reducing the risk of cross-contamination.
- No smudge/streaks on the faucet’s finish: Touchless faucets can also preserve the aesthetic and quality of the faucet’s finish by avoiding fingerprints, smudges, and streaks. This can make your faucet look more sleek and elegant and also extend its lifespan.
Cons of Touchless Kitchen Faucets
- Generally more expensive than standard faucets: Touchless faucets are usually more costly than traditional faucets due to their advanced technology and features. They can range from $100 to $600 or more depending on the brand, model, and quality. You may also have to pay extra for installation and maintenance costs. There are a few models that cost up to $100.
- The solenoid or valve can stop functioning properly over time: Touchless faucets rely on a solenoid valve or an electromagnet to control the water flow. This component can wear out or malfunction over time due to various factors such as hard water, mineral buildup, battery drainage, power outage, or sensor damage. When this happens, the faucet may not respond to your hand gestures or voice commands, or it may leak or drip water. You may have to replace the solenoid valve or the entire faucet if the problem persists.
- It can be difficult to change the water flow rate or temperature: Touchless faucets can also be less flexible and customizable than standard faucets when it comes to adjusting the water flow rate or temperature. You may have to touch different areas of the faucet, or for some models, use a remote control to change the settings. This can be inconvenient and frustrating if you want to switch between different water modes or temperatures quickly and easily.
Touchless kitchen faucets are a great option for anyone who wants to enjoy the convenience, hygiene, and efficiency of hands-free water control. They can help you save water and energy, prevent the spread of germs, and enhance the look and feel of your kitchen. However, they also have some drawbacks, such as higher cost, potential malfunction, and limited adjustability. Therefore, you should weigh the pros and cons of touchless kitchen faucets carefully before making a purchase decision. You should also consider your personal preferences, budget, and kitchen style to find the best touchless faucet for your home.