At times, you would want to change your computer system and use a new one. However, it requires a lot of effort to transfer all the crucial data and other important applications to another computer. Similarly, whenever there is a requirement to move QuickBooks company file to a new computer, you must be aware of the correct method of doing it and also note down a few important points related to it. If you do not follow such rules, there is a risk of losing all your financial data that has been stored in the company file. So, we recommend you read this whole article very well and carefully follow every step of each troubleshooting method.
Cannot shift your company file to a new system even after using appropriate steps? Do not bother yourself! Directly speak to our technical support team to acquire some best solutions to do it. Ring us at Our Toll Free Numberto get connected.
Points to Consider Before Transferring Your QuickBooks Data File to a New Device
Do you want to move your QuickBooks and the company file to another system? If yes, then at first, you must read out the following points concisely as not going through them can result in losing some crucial financial data. So, go through each point and remember them when you perform the process-
- You must always keep in mind that the version of the QuickBooks Desktop you install on the new computer should be the same as the version you had on the former device.
- Remember to move the QB license number and other registration information to the new computer from the old one.
- Modify the name of the data file on the former system to avoid confusion between transferring the incorrect company file.
- If you have an active subscription to the payroll service, you must ensure to download the latest updates of the payroll tax table first and then move the company file to another device.
- Always take a backup of your company file and then proceed towards shifting it to a new computer.
Now that you are familiar with the points that you should always remember before performing the process let us now move on to different methods of moving the data file from one computer to another.
You may read also : QBDBMgrN not running on this computer
What are the Methods I Can Apply to Shift My QuickBooks Data File to Another Computer Device?
Do you want to transfer your company file to a new computer but do not know how to do it? Do not get worried! Here we have explained three ways through which you can perform the action. Moreover, the below-mentioned steps also assure that not a single data will be lost or corrupted. So, go through each solution and follow all the instructions precisely to avoid any hindrance-
SOLUTION 1: Backup Your QuickBooks Company File on the Current Device and Restore it on the New Computer
- In the beginning, launch your QuickBooks Desktop.
- If you are using the data file in multi-user mode, immediately switch to single-user mode.
- Now, you are required to back up the company file.
- In the following step, insert external storage. For instance, an external hard drive or even a USB.
- Next, right-click on the backup company file and tap on the ‘Copy’ option.
- Move to the external storage device to paste it.
- To transfer the data file to the new device, remove the external storage device carefully and plugin to the other computer.
- In the end, you must run the QuickBooks program on the new system.
- Move the cursor to the ‘File’ menu and click on it.
- Under the menu, opt for the ‘Open or Restore Company’ option.
SOLUTION 2: Perform the Restoration of the QuickBooks Data File With the Help of IDP
- If you are able to backup your QuickBooks via Intuit Data Protect plan, then try out this method.
- At first, on your old computer system, backup all your QuickBooks data.
- Now, in the further step, sign in to your IDP account in order to save the backup to the online backup.
- In the final step, start the new device and then log in to your IDP account.
- Complete the restoration of the backup from the online backup.
SOLUTION 3: Perform the Action By Migrating the Entire QuickBooks Desktop Data to the New Computer System
- Initiate the procedure by running the QuickBooks program on your Windows.
- After that, on your keyboard, hit the ‘Ctrl + 1’ keys to verify the QuickBooks data folder location.
- Now, you are required to open the Windows File Manager.
- From there, move to the location where you have stored all the QB data.
- In the further step, copy the folder by right-clicking on it.
- Next, move to the external drive and right-click on a blank area.
- Choose the ‘Paste’ option to place the folder in the drive.
- Go ahead by inserting the external drive in the computer in which you want to transfer the company file.
- After copying the QuickBooks folder, paste the folder on the system’s desktop.
- In the final step, launch the QuickBooks Desktop and then open the data file.
We understand how challenging it can be to shift all your essential data from one device to another. As a result, we have attempted our best to deliver you the most crucial information on how to move QuickBooks company file to a new computer using certain simple solutions. However, as a gentle reminder, we again tell you not to forget the guidelines mentioned in this content. Apart from this, the steps explained here have been entirely tried and tested so that you do not face any hindrance. However, if you still face any problems while using any of these methods or require any more detail related to this matter, do not hesitate to get connected with the team of pro advisors for help through our Toll-Free Number. Our professionals are within reach round the clock to guide you until you successfully complete the requisite action.
You may read also : QuickBooks Error 15270